My New Skateboard

Just put this together and it feels good. My little street truck. I wanted a short, low-to-ground board, so cut down my old Tamalpais board and added risers and some really good trucks and wheels from Loaded Boards. Turns really well, still in testing stage. Gonna notch out 4 corners to avoid board rubbing against wheels on sharp turns. Possibly I’ll reconfigure with a board maybe 3″ longer.

11 Responses to My New Skateboard

1. Those metal brackets are sweet! Did you have those made?

2. Anonymous says:

Have you had the chance to ride the board you installed breaks on?
    How is it handling?

3. Lloyd Kahn says:

I'm not crazy about the brakes. Having to keep a heel ready to hit the brake detracts from the pure joy of skating. I keep meaning to try it on a long downhill run, but haven't gotten around to it.

4. Thanks for the reply Lloyd.

5. Dan Radice says:

Thanks for this Lloyd!
    My Daughter has a board now (She's 9), but now my gears are turning and I'd like to make her one that's a little more maneuverable and tailored to her needs.

6. Dominic says:

Re: Brakes… I guess that hitting the brake by accident must be in the back of your mind as well when you are riding. Does it seem to brake hard enough that it would bring your board to a halt so quickly that it could throw you off the board?

7. Lloyd Kahn says:

Yep, it works very well. If you hit the brake hard you'd go flying forward sans board.

8. Dominic says:

Thank you Lloyd.

And thank you for your blog. It is such a wealth of information on so many different subjects. I really really appreciate what you do.

9. Anonymous says:

Many Afghan Girls Are Not Allowed To Ride Bicycles, So ‘Skateistan’ Empowers Them With Skateboarding