Carolina Chocolate Drops : Full Session via Liveset

9 Responses to Carolina Chocolate Drops : Full Session via Liveset

1. bayrider says:

Sweet! These folks are phenomenal. Why have I never heard of them before? Their website says they're doing traditional black music but I don't recall hearing any of that, it's more like traditional country music for white folks that listen to NPR. They are not going to get many black fans speaking standard English and lacking any hip hop attitude. These folks are definitely swimming against that tide. This performance was so very uplifting. Made me feel like it's a beautiful world we live in today, chock full of creative people and room for everybody to pursue their own style, their own dreams. Right on!

BTW, have you seen or heard this speech Bob Dylan gave the other day at the Grammys? Wonderfully revealing, which he certainly has not been for the most part. A lot of insight into the writing of some key songs, he generously credits his influences and even suggests how we might have come to the same place he did. He demonstrates that he moved ahead of American culture by immersing himself in and reinterpreting it's past.

2. bayrider says:

BTW, have you seen or heard this speech Bob Dylan gave the other day at the Musicares event honoring him? This will blow your mind, trust me, you've been waiting all your life to hear this. Wonderfully revealing, which he certainly has not been for the most part. A lot of insight into the writing of some key songs, he generously credits his influences and even suggests how we might have come to the same place he did. He demonstrates that he moved ahead of American culture by immersing himself in and reinterpreting it's past.

3. Anonymous says:

They are not going to get many black fans speaking standard English and lacking any hip hop attitude, WOW

4. I loved watching the banjo player…gonna do more watching him. yep, 4 strings….VERY COOL…and this combo of instruments. thanks so very much for posting. aloha….oh and BTW, they'd go very well if ever they get to Hawaii!!! I liked the background of an old church with pipes in the background…

5. thanks bayrider for your info on Bob Dylan. So enjoyed reading the whole thing and loved the quote of Sam Cooke when told he had a beautiful voice: He said, "Well that's very kind of you, but voices ought not to be measured by how pretty they are. Instead they matter only if they convince you that they are telling the truth." Think on that the next time you sing or speak….I so enjoyed in my youth the FOLK SONGS of most all he talked on here. And how he got inspired to write more. More to Bob Dylan then meets the eye or ear…

6. Anonymous says:

By WOW I meant what a massive racist generalisation

7. Jake Millar says:

I was lucky enough to see/hear these folks front row, center at a festival a year or so back. It was the highlight of the event. I've been a fan ever since.

8. Dan Radice says:

God, I love them!

9. Dan Radice says:

They rocked the Philadelphia Folk Festival a few years back!